The DL251 eliminates the “high frequency cutting” problems of full-band compressors by use of “Dynamic Spectral Enhancement” feature. It restores your high frequencies and adds additional “Spectral Energy” for that extra sonic spark. The DL241 Auto-Compressor uses many automatic functions, letting you concentrate on the overall performance and feel rather than the equipment. The result is smooth, warm and transparent audio. The DL441 Quad Auto Compressor/Limiter captures four channels of the innovative DL241 Auto Compressor in only 1U of rack space.
Facilities available on the DL251 include:
- Compressor : The compressor section can be switched to provide either HARD or SOFT knee compression. In both the HARD and SOFT modes a Ratio control is available. In the SOFT mode the ratio increases gradually over a 10dB input level range until it reaches the ratio set on the front panel control, thus achieving a more natural sounding compression. Selectable manual or automatic Attack and Release times dramatically extend the application range and user scope of the DL251. Selecting the ‘Auto’ mode removes the need for manual adjustment and is particularly valuable when the programme being treated does not have predictable or consistent dynamics, such as on complete mixes, vocals or ‘slapped and pulled’ bass guitar. Under manual control the wide range of adjustment available gives the user the ability to create dynamic effects as well as normal compression.
- Enhance Level : A variable Enhance control can be used to ‘dynamically’ boost any high frequency energy lost during the full band compression process and has sufficient range to add additional ‘Spectral Energy’ to the programme material for creative processing. When no compression is taking place, the ‘Dynamic Spectral Enhancement’ circuitry is inoperative and so no change is made to the signal. However, as the signal level rises to the point where gain reduction is taking place, the Enhancement system ‘kicks in’ applying dynamic boost which is directly related to the amount of gain reduction taking place. A front panel switch offers an instant A/B comparison of this feature and a green LED indicates the amount of enhancement taking place.
- Metering : Comprehensive bar graph displays give ‘at a glance’ indications of gain reduction, and input/output signal level Gain reduction from 1 dB to -30dB is shown simultaneously with signal level from 20dB to + 15dB Other single LEDs indicate function status of Hard/ Soft compression, Auto Attack/ Release, Side chain monitoring, Bypass, Enhancement, Peak Limiting, Stereo Linking and Power on.
- Side Chain Listen : A front panel push button with LED status enables the monitoring of any external processing applied to the side chain access connections on the rear panel.
- Bypass : A fully balanced hard wire bypass connects the input directly to the output allowing signal to pass through the unit with no power applied. In bypass mode the output level bar graph displays the Input signal.
- Stereo Link : When processing stereo signals, linking should be used to prevent image shifting. This facility ties both channels together. Using channel 1 (Left) as the master channel removes the need to duplicate control settings for both channels. A rear panel switch allows the selection of ‘Peak’ or ‘Average’ stereo signal detection.
- Peak Level : ‘Zero Response Time’, ‘Zero Overshoot’ circuitry provides an absolute limit to the peak level of the output signal, adjustable from 0dB to +16dB above system level When set to the required level, any excessive peaks will be stopped and the gain momentarily decreased if necessary The ‘Zero Response Time’ is essential to avoid unpleasant distortion when mastering for CD or sending any signal to digital equipment. ‘Zero Response Time’ means that the DL251 provides complete protection from even the fastest and shortest signal ‘spikes’ (overloads), making the unit also ideally suited for speaker system protection in sound reinforcement applications.
- Operating Level : The operating level of the DL251 can be instantly switched, independently on each channel, for either +4dBu or -10dBu operation using a rear panel push switch.
- Input/Output : The DL251 is provided with balanced inputs and outputs on XLR connections.
- Manual here