Drawmer 1968 MkII – Dual Channel Tube Compressor
Blend valves and FETs for quality compression. The 1968 MkII is a 1U Tube/FET ‘stereo bus’ compressor which by design delivers a transparent ‘open’ sound even during periods of heavy compression.
The Drawmer 1968 MkII expands attack times to six choices: 2, 9, 15, 25, 30 and 50 ms. Release times come in three fixed times (100ms, 500 ms and 1 second) and three program-dependent choices–200 ms to 2 sec, 500 ms to 5 sec and 1 to 10 seconds–all program-dependent and automatic.
The 1968 MkII provides full sidechain access for connecting an external equalizer for vocal stressing or de-essing.
Featured on both channels is a switchable ‘BIG’ and ‘BIGGER’ mode which applies less processing to the fundamental low frequency but still disciplines the upward associated harmonics which if untamed can result in a ‘boomy’ or ‘boxy’ sound. The result – a solid bottom end with enhanced sub-bass and a smoother, wider frequency response overall. This lets the operator use more compression on an overall mix with less pumping action caused by a kick and/or bass instrument.
The outputs of Channels 1 and 2 are monitored on two yellow illuminated VU meters – with a red warning glow to signify ‘approaching clipping’. A three-position switch adjusts the meters to show either normal output level, gain reduction or VU +10dB mode, which re-scales the meter for users working at ‘hot’ output levels.
An output switch selects normal compressor output, hard-wired bypass and sidechain listen.
The key features are as follows:
- 2 Channel Tube/FET Compressor.
- 2 soft-knee compressors with variable threshold, attack, release and output gain.
- Switchable BIG and BIGGER control on each channel.
- Dual mono or true stereo link operation.
- Side chain access and side chain listen facility.
- VU metering of gain reduction and output levels.
- Switchable +10dB mode on VU re-scales the meter for users working at ‘hot’ output levels.
- VU red warning glow to signify ‘approaching clipping’.
- Balanced +4dB XLR in/outs.
Due to customer demand we have introduced new features to the 1968 MkII:
- Expanded the BIG to include BIGGER – setting the filters to 75Hz and 150Hz.
- Added internal jumpers that can be configured to remove the soft clip section.
- Added internal jumpers to make the output hotter by 6dB, if required.
- Improvement have been made to the PSU to lower the noise floor.