SPL IRON is a mastering compressor that provided a pleasant melodic-sounding, transparent compression, inspired on the vintage compressors of the radio era. And we wanted it to be versatile enough to adapt perfectly to the needs of modern mastering studios.
Thanks to the especially conceived Mu-Metal iron transformers, the signal of each channel is split across two different twin-triode tubes. The combination of the different response curves of both tubes results in a transparent and musically pleasant compression. Additionally, peak signals of the control voltage are limited by a feed-forward resistive vactrol-opto-isolator. Thus, the output signal remains lively even with a high gain reduction. The compression is only noticeable with extreme settings.
SPL IRON Features:
- Variable bias tube compressor
- Parallel dual tube circuit
- Tube selection and pairing with Weigl Roe Test
- Specially conceived Mu-Metal iron transformers
- Feed-forward resistive vactrol-opto-isolator
- Six different Rectifier settings available
- Sidechain to choose between Off, four sidechain-filter presets or an external sidechain signal.
- All functions can be adjusted via switches or, in the case of the Threshold, with a detented potentiometer
- In Link mode, the Threshold, Tube Bias, Attack, Release, and Rectifier parameters, as well as the Sidechain EQs, are controlled with the right side (channel 2) of the unit.
- Additional passive 120V equalizer with two presets
- SPL classic High Dynamic 120V operating voltage
- Auto Bypass mode
- Width x Height x Depth: (482 x 177 x 311.5mm) (19″, 4U)
- Weight: (11 kg)
- 2 colors available: Red and Black
- User manual here.