The Beyerdynamic M160 boasts a unique double-ribbon design with a hypercardioid polar pattern, yielding a precise bass response, warm mids, and silky highs. This top-shelf, German-built ribbon mic also softens overly harsh sources in a beautifully natural way, making it an excellent choice for capturing drums and guitar cabinets. Every well-stocked mic locker needs at least one ribbon microphone; thanks to its superb transient response and extreme high fidelity, the Beyerdynamic M160 should be at the top of your list.
The M160 delivers a warm yet eminently true-to-life sound that also softens overly harsh sources, such as cranked guitar amplifiers and miked cymbals. Moreover, its super-fast transient response ensures that rapid-fire, high-impulse sources like hi-hats are captured with the utmost fidelity. You’ll also be pleasantly surprised at how well the M 160 responds to acoustic guitars, brass instruments, and strings — it captures every detail with zero shrillness.
Beyerdynamic M160 Features:
- Dynamic double ribbon microphone
- An impressive mic with contemporary aesthetics
- Employs the same sound-relevant components as its predecessor
- Unique double-ribbon design yields a superb transient response and extreme high fidelity
- Hypercardioid polar pattern offers a precise bass response, warm mids, and silky highs
- Pairs seamlessly with a figure-8 M 130 for M-S recording
- Handbuilt in Heilbronn, Germany
- Frequency response: 40 Hz – 18000 Hz
- Nominal impedance: 200 ohms
- Optimized for use on guitar, drums and brass
- Dimension; length: 156 mm, shaft diameter: 23 mm, head diameter: 38 mm
- Weight: 192 g